Friday, March 26, 2010

Brownies on Parade 1956

That's my older sister Cathy holding the American flag, marching in a parade in Grayslake, Il. Look at that intense woman on the left carrying her purse on her arm like the Queen of England - she must be supervising the Girl Scouts marching ahead. Is that a DeSoto parked on the side? And look at that old house with the wrap-around porch in the background. I loved parades in Grayslake; my friends and I would decorate our bicycles with crepe paper and attach playing cards to our bike frames with clothes pins so that they riffed against the spokes of our wheels making a cool flappy sound. We were a disheveled bunch trailing along the end of the parade waving and riding proudly.

3 comments:

  1. Great Classic Americana! That photo could be made into a Norman Rockwell painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That large woman to the left of the American flag is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The home town parade...so nostalgic. I have never marched in a parade, but my mom has bellydanced in the doodah parade a time or two.

    ReplyDelete