Friday, July 23, 2010

Julia Wheelock Dec. 30, 1897 - Mar. 14, 1929

This is my maternal grandmother. Her first marriage was in 1918 and she had two children, Henrietta and Harry. Shortly after Harry was born Julia's husband Henry died. One year later she married my grandfather, Lee Albert Wheelock. She had 7 children with Lee; Myrtle Eva in 1920, Dorothy Della in 1921, Baby Boy who died at birth in 1922, Adeline Winnifred in 1924, Baby Girl who died at birth in 1926, John Arthur Wheelock in 1927 and Elizabeth Leona in 1929. My mother was Elizabeth Leona.

Nine days after my mother was born, her mother Julia died. Julia was only 32 years old.

The two children from Julia's first marriage, Henrietta and Harry, were given by Lee to a local family to adopt. My mother, a newborn, was given to another local couple who were childless.

All of these children grew up in the same small town in Illinois, but my mother had no idea who her siblings were until she was older. She fell in love with one of them and her parents had to tell her that this boy was her brother.

My mother Elizabeth married someone else when she was sixteen and had my sister Cathy (the dragon). Shortly after Cathy was born, Elizabeth and her husband divorced. She met my father, married him and I was born. Nine years later my sister Debra was born.

Back to Julia...she is buried with one husband on her right and the other husband on her left.




2 comments:

  1. Excellent photo at that beautiful sewing machine. Maybe you get your craftiness from Grandma Juia!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family history is fascinating. Your mother must have been so heartbroken and confused when she found out about her brother.

    ReplyDelete