Friday, April 2, 2010

Easter 1956

Easter Sunday, Grayslake, IL. That's my father William McDermott on the left next to my older sister Cathy the dragon, my mother Elizabeth McDermott in the spiffy polka dot dress with white collar and cuffs, and me in my crinolines, fancy dress, shiny shoes and Easter hat. My mother is grasping my wrist, my other hand is tightly clenched.

Our church was very modern for 1956, this is an area on the way upstairs to the pews in the loft. I loved it up there. I'd ditch the family, sit in the front row with my friends and drop rolled up pieces of paper torn from the offering envelopes down to the masses below, then we'd duck down so nobody saw us. People were very confused. In one incident services were halted while the pastor looked up and scolded us. This is when I learned to hold my nose so I wouldn't laugh and snort out loud. Killed my eyes, though.

3 comments:

  1. What a little devil you were!!! I do love your Easter outfit. Everyone in the photo is scowling except for Mom. Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. welll......not scowling, but not smiling either! Lots of stress on family holidays, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the survival & entertainment skills acquired during services.

    Great family photo. It speaks volumes about the holidays.

    ReplyDelete