Friday, January 22, 2010

Vintage Photo Friday - 1957


Grayslake, Il. The very tall, dark-haired woman is my mother, Elizabeth McDermott. The dark-haired girl is my sister Cathy and that's me with the blonde hair. My mother was wearing a red blazer and red pumps, looking very sharp. Cathy and I are grasping bouquets of flowers that were recently picked from our garden. I'm not sure what the occasion was, I suspect it had something to do with church.

The real star of this photo is my dad's yellow 1957 Chevy. I think this model is called a Bel-Air, but I'm not sure. I found some information online:

Chevy advertised it's '57 as "Sweet, Smooth and Sassy! Chevy goes one better for '57 with a daring new departure in design (looks longer and lower, and it is!), exclusive new Turboglide automatic transmission with triple turbines, a new V-8 and a bumper crop of new ideas including fuel injection!" said one ad. "You'll love Chevrolet's new light-touch driving! You'll never put hand and foot to a car so quick, smooth and easy to control - a light touch does it, Chevy's solid on the road - and that goes for the way it's put together, too!" said another.

The new 1957 Chevrolet was fresher and friskier, from its own special look to its new Ramjet fuel injection. It was the development of fuel injection on the Corvette and the 1957 Chevrolet that prompted Chevy to claim an industry first in that famous ad headline "1 h.p. per cubic inch". In the United States all automobile engineers wanted to achieve the magic milestone of "One horsepower from every cubic inch of engine displacement".

My dad LOVED that car. It was our last sedan - after this car it was a succession of Chevy station wagons. I hated those things.



2 comments:

  1. Yup! that's a Bel Air. We have a '55 in our backyard. You all look very snazzy in your church outfits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome car and love everyone all dressed up and showing it off.

    ReplyDelete