Friday, February 5, 2010

Debra's Birthday 1968

The little girl in the blue gingham dress is my younger sister Debra. That's me in the yellow dress with my pettipants showing. I used to iron my hair then. I'm looking at Debra's gifts and I see "Silly Sand", some sort of canister with Bat Man on it, and a doll that has the word "Pucci" on the packaging. I also see a strand of gum balls or jaw breakers hanging down from the fireplace mantel. She had a nice birthday party with some of her friends there at our house in Simi Valley, CA.

The month before Debra's birthday, my parents' divorce was finalized and my father was already involved with someone else. Only a year and three months before that, we had been uprooted from our home and friends and family in Illinois to come to California for my dad's job. We had a lot of adjusting ahead of us.

Debra's most recent birthday was last Saturday, I crocheted her a beautiful shawl and she loved it. Happy Birthday, Debra - it's been a long haul!

2 comments: