Friday, June 18, 2010

James Deegan McDermott Family circa 1913

Eleven McDermott children, only one girl. Clockwise from left, James Basil, John Emmet, Emily Veronica, Francis Aloysius, George Thomas, Clarence Brougham, Albert Matthew, William Vincent (my grandfather), Arthur Charles, Baby Edward Howard on my great-grandmother Anna Brougham McDermott's lap, Joseph Deegan and my great-grandfather James Deegan McDermott. In addition to these eleven children, their second child (not pictured) Edmund James died in infancy and after this picture was taken my poor great-grandmother had two more sons, Lawrence Albert and Ambrose. That's FOURTEEN children she birthed from 1891 to 1916! From what I remember being told, all these children were born at home.

Can you imagine the guy wanting to date Emily? "Ohh, hello Mr. McDermotts (mondo plural), I'm Sean O'Leary. Don't worry, I'll have her back by curfew. Ohh, you're all coming with us?"

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's quite an impressive family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a woman!
    I feel for the one sister in that brood of boys.
    She was probably one tough cookie too.

    Great photo and I love that you know everyone's names.

    ReplyDelete